I took advantage of a free, dismal April Monday with to mooch along Goldhawk Road’s many fabric shops to pick up material for various projects. Amazingly, I only succumbed to two lengths that were not on my shopping list!
From top to bottom:
– Wedding outfit (silk/cotton Liberty @ £13)
– Bridesmaid kimonos (cotton @ £3.99)
– lining/top ‘couldn’t resist’ (silk/cotton @ £6.00)
– ‘Gentleman’s’ dressing gown (hand-woven silk @ £25)
– Tie project (cotton velvet @ £10)
– Winter skirt ‘coundn’t resist’ (dog’s tooth tweed wool @ £12)
– recycling maternity cordory dress project (polyester jaquard lining @ £4.50 and jumbo cord (cotton @ £7.50)
– recovering sofa mattress (wool herringbone @ £8.00)
Two delightful dresses for Edwina’s grandaughters made from new remnants and recycled charity finds – note the excellent choice of buttons and zips!
March 1st seemed like a good day to plan a project using a donation from Eastbourne of a large bag of beautiful silk ties.
The plan is to make two gowns – but there is competition for the prettiest ties!
None of the configurations that I’ve tried quite work – but inserting some dark strips is an improvement.
A mother & daughter day – one vintage fabric and one new length from the Cambridge branch of Sew Creative, home-made soup and some excellent cheese. What better way to spend a Saturday?
Alas, there was not time to complete the outfits on the first visit – happily, they were able to return later in the month (and will be back to make a top to match the skirt)!
On two days between Christmas and New Year, we enjoyed sewing around the Christmas tree!
The 30-year, multicoloured house-gown project and a gorgeous Liberty blouse made a little progress; an elegant Japanese jacket was completed in a day; a cushion-cover with a promise of spring was begun and a chic 1950’s period dress began to take shape.
Dorota, Sebastian and Marta also joined in – but no progress on the Marta quilt was made – hopefully it will be completed in 2018 (project year 3)! It was lovely to see Sebastian’s quilt again!
(Note Sid’s absence – far too many people!)
My favourite purple corduroy skirt, created c. 2010 from a maternity dress that I made in the 1980s was looking rather shabby.
Happily the voluminous dress just provided sufficient fabric for a second edition (in a slightly more modest length).
I plan to turn the blouson bodice of the dress into a jacket one day too!
Over a long weekend, several garments were created in anticipation of wintery weather ahead.
A pinafore was created by removing the sleeves of a charity-shop Jigsaw find (not pictured) and the Sew-in-Company reserve of fabric lengths was raided to create another pinafore and two skirts.
£1.99 Oxfam fabric length (before white flaw removed)
Same pattern, different fabrics & waist finishes
Sid enjoying soft wool tweed!
A new, delightful, Sew-in-Company experience this week – joining a friend in the kitchen of a primary school near Luton to tackle the cotumes for a Bedford Youth Opera production of the Pirates of Penzance. The stage design and principal costumes made by the Art Director are fantastic – if you would like to see them, buy a ticket. From listening to the young performers rehearse, I can promise a wonderful evening’s entertainment!
The last of the length of vintage fabric combined with some offcuts of white to make a unique dress (see 12 March, Recovering Boards and 9 May, Book Club Blouse posts) .
Although it has a recycled linig, the cotton skirt is not the best of quality so the garment may not be a pleasure to wear (in which case the top section will be converted into a bouse!).
Made to order for Pat to wear to her monthly bookclub meeting. Inserting complementary coloured piping on sleeves, pockets and hem was fun.
The final fit is a little snug but there was limited fabric available – it also features on the Friends of Rock Road Library Noticeboard, 12 March Post, and will make another appearance soon as a summer frock!