On two days between Christmas and New Year, we enjoyed sewing around the Christmas tree!
The 30-year, multicoloured house-gown project and a gorgeous Liberty blouse made a little progress; an elegant Japanese jacket was completed in a day; a cushion-cover with a promise of spring was begun and a chic 1950’s period dress began to take shape.
Dorota, Sebastian and Marta also joined in – but no progress on the Marta quilt was made – hopefully it will be completed in 2018 (project year 3)! It was lovely to see Sebastian’s quilt again!
(Note Sid’s absence – far too many people!)
While Marta played in the snow and Patty penned Christmas cards (‘dreaming of a white Christmas‘), the three layers of the quilt were assembled – the wadding was hand-stitched to the seam allowances to keep it securely in place.
Further progress this weekend – both sides are now complete (and Marta enjoyed collecting autumn leaves for a collage picture)!
We enjoyed several sessions in September and October and the tricky process of joining the squares (all of which are slightly different sizes) has progressed well and message has been composed for the reverse.
At last, the quilt/baby mat (it is too thick for a baby’s cot) begun in August has been completed (see previous posts).
The ‘strip’ method was more complicated than anticipated (joining the padded tubes to slippy velours was a challenge) – but the result is charming!
What a joy, one of the Granny Quilt creators has three sons who have been blessed with new babies in 2017.
Granny Pat knitted a blanket for one, one baby will share his sister’s quilt and, for the baby that arrived in July, Granny Jackie is making something special starting with the fabric cut from the curtains which were shortened for the baby’s bedroom (see June post). The animal prints are new fabric from Dunelm (too cute to resist) but the rest were from the scrap box, including the remnants from my friend in Eastbourne and a pink ‘lamb’ print which dates back to the 1950s (originally bought by my mother to make curtains for her babies’ nursery).
The design session took place in August – a novel method of double-sided strips will be used – which was intended to be reasonably speedy to complete!
Following two afternoon sessions in October, the quilt is beginning to take shape!
My favourite purple corduroy skirt, created c. 2010 from a maternity dress that I made in the 1980s was looking rather shabby.
Happily the voluminous dress just provided sufficient fabric for a second edition (in a slightly more modest length).
I plan to turn the blouson bodice of the dress into a jacket one day too!
A talented friend occasionally performs as a caterpillar to entertain children.
Of course, the piece concludes with a transformation into a butterfly – but the wings provided with her costume were a little underwhelming.
Sew-in-Company was keen to tackle the challenge using scraps of old lining fabric and silk.
…. and made a bag to discretely transport it to performances (Sid is not impressed).
We managed two sessions during the school summer holidays and now the end is in sight!
Nine pieced squares have been completed and fabric selected for the grid and backing (with Sid’s approval).
Marta helped by colouring in the design.
The pieces were laid out on the floor to achieve the best balance of colours – I am not certain that Sebastian and Marta’s contribution was constructive at the end of the day!
A new, delightful, Sew-in-Company experience this week – joining a friend in the kitchen of a primary school near Luton to tackle the cotumes for a Bedford Youth Opera production of the Pirates of Penzance. The stage design and principal costumes made by the Art Director are fantastic – if you would like to see them, buy a ticket. From listening to the young performers rehearse, I can promise a wonderful evening’s entertainment!
Sapphire blue was the party theme for this centennial!
New (found in cupboard and specially chosen John Lewis) fabric was used for the pennants – but off-cuts from shortening curtains and worn-out sheeting was used for the tape.
Unsurprisingly, the birthday girl’s outfit matched perfectly.