What a joy, one of the Granny Quilt creators has three sons who have been blessed with new babies in 2017.
Granny Pat knitted a blanket for one, one baby will share his sister’s quilt and, for the baby that arrived in July, Granny Jackie is making something special starting with the fabric cut from the curtains which were shortened for the baby’s bedroom (see June post). The animal prints are new fabric from Dunelm (too cute to resist) but the rest were from the scrap box, including the remnants from my friend in Eastbourne and a pink ‘lamb’ print which dates back to the 1950s (originally bought by my mother to make curtains for her babies’ nursery).
The design session took place in August – a novel method of double-sided strips will be used – which was intended to be reasonably speedy to complete!
Following two afternoon sessions in October, the quilt is beginning to take shape!
My favourite purple corduroy skirt, created c. 2010 from a maternity dress that I made in the 1980s was looking rather shabby.
Happily the voluminous dress just provided sufficient fabric for a second edition (in a slightly more modest length).
I plan to turn the blouson bodice of the dress into a jacket one day too!
A talented friend occasionally performs as a caterpillar to entertain children.
Of course, the piece concludes with a transformation into a butterfly – but the wings provided with her costume were a little underwhelming.
Sew-in-Company was keen to tackle the challenge using scraps of old lining fabric and silk.
…. and made a bag to discretely transport it to performances (Sid is not impressed).
Over a long weekend, several garments were created in anticipation of wintery weather ahead.
A pinafore was created by removing the sleeves of a charity-shop Jigsaw find (not pictured) and the Sew-in-Company reserve of fabric lengths was raided to create another pinafore and two skirts.
£1.99 Oxfam fabric length (before white flaw removed)
Same pattern, different fabrics & waist finishes
Sid enjoying soft wool tweed!
We managed two sessions during the school summer holidays and now the end is in sight!
Nine pieced squares have been completed and fabric selected for the grid and backing (with Sid’s approval).
Marta helped by colouring in the design.
The pieces were laid out on the floor to achieve the best balance of colours – I am not certain that Sebastian and Marta’s contribution was constructive at the end of the day!
A new, delightful, Sew-in-Company experience this week – joining a friend in the kitchen of a primary school near Luton to tackle the cotumes for a Bedford Youth Opera production of the Pirates of Penzance. The stage design and principal costumes made by the Art Director are fantastic – if you would like to see them, buy a ticket. From listening to the young performers rehearse, I can promise a wonderful evening’s entertainment!
Sapphire blue was the party theme for this centennial!
New (found in cupboard and specially chosen John Lewis) fabric was used for the pennants – but off-cuts from shortening curtains and worn-out sheeting was used for the tape.
Unsurprisingly, the birthday girl’s outfit matched perfectly.
The last of the length of vintage fabric combined with some offcuts of white to make a unique dress (see 12 March, Recovering Boards and 9 May, Book Club Blouse posts) .
Although it has a recycled linig, the cotton skirt is not the best of quality so the garment may not be a pleasure to wear (in which case the top section will be converted into a bouse!).
Happily, a sunny summer means that outdoor pursuits have provided a distraction from textiles!
One rainy afternoon, however, time was found to create a simple bag to protect and transport an electronic keyboard which is available to borrow from FRRL.
May and June have been fallow months for creating – too much gallivanting and way too hot in the sewing room!
Despite the heat, the DofE student has made progress with her project, wedding suits have been altered, darts added to a linen dress, curtains made and shortened (my least favourite tasks) and a stunning wedding gown adjusted – providing three different fabrics to create a plaited headband.
The fabric cut from the curtains will be used for a quilt – the hunt is on for complementary scraps!